So, I'm sure this is a phase (at least I hope it is) but Chris and I are at our ends. For the past 4 days Kate has flat out refused to take her naps. Meaning every time we lay her in her crib, she screams. I wasn't too worried about it before because she would still go to bed really well at night...until last night.
Ever since she was about 6 weeks old we've had a deal where we let her cry for 10 minutes and then go comfort her if she's still crying. It's worked like a charm for us...until now. I've tried the check on her every 10 minutes and lay her back down like we've always done, but that seems to drag the screaming out forever. I've tried rocking her to sleep, which works until you go to lay her in her crib, then she wakes up screaming. I've tried letting her play all day and thinking she'll just fall asleep on the floor or in her highchair. (You know all those cute pictures moms have of their babies falling asleep with food in their hands?? Yeah, that will never happen with us.) And last night Chris and I braved the "let her cry it out" technique. She screamed for over an hour and a half and finally we caved. Chris got her to sleep by forcing her to keep her head down and rubbing her back for a few minutes. (sounds bad, but we were desperate)
So, now we are close to day 5 with absolutely no naps. Fortunately once she gets to sleep at night she sleeps like 11 to 12 hours like usual. I can tell she's still exhausted though. Today at Church was pathetic, she has super dark circles under her eyes and they're all red because she's always rubbing them because she's so tired. She needs her naps.
As far as I can tell she's not teething. Her gums aren't swollen or showing any signs of new teeth popping up any time soon. She doesn't act sick or anything when she's awake. While she's playing she's her usual self - perfectly happy and fun to be with. She's starting to walk everywhere and communicate better than ever. I have absolutely no clue why she refuses to sleep. Any suggestions?????? I've even contemplated crawling into her crib with her until she falls asleep, but I'm pretty sure that my growing belly wouldn't accommodate that so well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Both Ty and Brans have gone thru that phase. DOn't give up! I think they just suddenly devolmentally realize there's a whole lot of fun going on while they're sleeping :) With my boys, I did the "cry it out method" a lot. When that didn't work I would lay down with them. My boys won't sleep if they keep moving so I have to make them lay down and stop moving and then they'll crash. But, they aren't in a crib. I would just keep at it. If she sees you're not going to give it up, she will. I bet it'll just go away, a phase.
Hey Christine,
Not fun. I'm so sorry. Celeste really recommends a book "Healthy sleep habbits, happy child." She says it breaks it up into the age groups. She says call her if you want and she will find out how old Kate is and then read you her suggestions. Her number is (509)766-1835. How hard is a cranky tired child. I pray that today will go better for you. I saw keep trying to put her down and let her cry it out, but an hour and a half. OH that is so long!!!!!!!! I think I did that once or twice with Andrew and hated ever min. of it. It's better when you have support there (hubby). I think so I'm glad Chris was with you.
Good luck. Hang in there. Love,
Eliza
Post a Comment