Monday, January 28, 2008

Nights and Naps

So, I think I jinxed myself. I've been bragging about how good a sleeper Kate is. Sigh...for the last few weeks Kate has been sleeping all night long. We're talking like in bed by 9:00 and sleeping until 7:00. It's been wonderful! However, the trade-off has been that she won't take naps very well during the day. She naps for like 30 minutes at a time and then she spends a good part of every evening fussy because she's so tired.

Well, for the last two nights we're back to getting up around 3:30am or so and she's wide awake and smiling. (not so cute at 3am) Plus, she's still not napping well. I'm hoping that this is because she's got a bit of a cold and we can go back to our sleeping through the night routine soon. Either way, I don't want this to last too long.

So, this morning I made a deal with Kate. She can either a) sleep all night and take mini-naps during the day, or b) get up once a night and take at least one good long (like 2-3 hour) nap during the day. Those are her choices. She can't have both. I explained this to her thoroughly so there should be no confusion. I also explained to her that if I were to choose, I would take option A. Think that will work? :)

3 comments:

Leslie said...

We're still getting up at least twice and one (sometimes both) of those times it takes over half an hour or more to get her re-settled. One night the little bugger didn't go to sleep until 12:30!

Email me and I can fill you in on the slideshow secrets. lsdehart@gmail.com

Maren said...

I hope Kate returns to her 'normal' schedule for you. But, as I'm sure you've recognized, kids are constantly changing. Just when you think you've got them figured out, they decide to test you! Noah is sleeping through the night (Hallelujah!), but he didn't do that for a LONG time. It sure is nice now. If only he wouldn't wake up at 6:30 am, then maybe I'd get my 8 hours sleep for the first time in 16 months!

Dinga said...

I hear you with the sleeping thing. Just when you think they have established a pattern it changes. Also, if you want to let me know how the slideshow thing works when you figure it out, that would be great! Also how do you add the names of other bloggers sites to your site for easy access? I am not good at this blogging thing.