Tuesday, January 5, 2016

We made it!!

On Sunday evening we finally made it to Grenada!! Yahoo! The first thing Kate said as we walked down the steps from the airplane was "Mom, I'm hot." Ha! Get used to it, kid. ;)



I guess I should back up a bit. About 6 weeks ago Chris was accepted to St George's University School of Medicine. After 7 long years of prerequisites and applications, we finally decided to try out the Caribbean schools. And we got accepted to the "Harvard of the Caribbean!" (there's a snippet from the TV show ER where they call SGU the Harvard of the Caribbean. I'll have to look it up and post it in here at some point). Anyway, we accepted the offer, and spent the next 6 weeks getting the house ready to rent and packing up. It was a whirlwind of chaos, especially at the end, but we have amazing family and friends that made it all possible. I seriously think we would still be in OK wrapping things up if it weren't for them. ...I should probably do a whole post on that at some point too...

Anyway, we made it to Grenada without a hitch. A couple of delayed flights, but nothing too traumatic. :) The kids each took turns napping and playing on their new kindles and were amazing travelers.

We arrived, waited in the line to get our visas for what felt like forever. Maddie was getting a bit whiny by this point so we entertained her by scooting her around on the booster seat. She thought that was a blast and it entertained the rest of us while we waited.

After immigration, we headed over to get our zillion bags (actually 19, but who's counting anyway?) ;) We loaded them all on a tiny luggage cart and headed over to customs. The lady asked me what was in the bags and I seriously couldn't think of a thing. My brain was so fried by that time. "uhhhh, clothes, diapers..." She just waved me and the kids through and sent Chris to the customs lady next to her to verify his school acceptance. Which, dun, dun, dun.... We didn't realize we needed the acceptance letter AND the immigration letter from the school. So the next 20 minutes was a little chaotic with me and the kids and luggage outside while Chris was inside trying to verify his acceptance over wifi on his phone inside. I kept having to run into the airport to bring him different documents to see if they would work while the kids and luggage sat outside. (The kids weren't too happy about that, but they, once again, were troopers). I felt so bad. Welcome to Grenada. But wait, Mom's gonna leave you alone in a foreign country for a minute. The security guards kept saying, "they'll be fine. Just go." I promise, I was barely out of their line of sight when the doors closed for a second and then darted right back out. Don't turn me in to DHS.

Anyway, once that trauma was done, we crossed the road and our entire luggage cart fell over. So we scrambled to pick them all up. It was chaos.

Then this guy from our Church was there to pick us up. (Our landlord had waited for 2 hours and just left, but was happy to come back to get us.) Josh, the guy from church, took the kids and I home. His wife had packed banana bread and ice water for the kids to munch on while we traveled as well as eggs, milk and bread for breakfast the next morning. And some mosquito repellent. It was amazing. Oh, and some mac n cheese. (if you know us, you know that was perfect). They were so kind. The landlord was also so very kind and welcoming. Another family from our Church brought us dinner and we chatted for a bit. We felt so welcomed and loved. They even came to take us to the grocery store the next day. AND, tomorrow one of the girls is coming back to take me to the grocery store AGAIN because I forgot so much the first time. The people here are amazing and so friendly. I'm so grateful to have good friends, good landlords and a beautiful island to enjoy for the next 2 years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! What an exciting adventure you're starting. Thanks for sharing!