Friday, October 1, 2010

New Kitchen!

Now don't get too excited. I'm not talking about my kitchen. I'm talking about Kate's birthday present. She's 3 now (I can't believe how big my baby girl is getting!) I saw a play kitchen that a friend made her daughters and got inspired to make on of my own. Well, not my own, but Kate's own. Seriously, I think I'm more excited about it than Kate is. Maybe.

Anyway, some friends of ours gave us an old bookshelf that they inherited from their office. Here is what it looked like:


So Chris brought it home for me and then I stared at it for like a week. I was all excited to do it but when I looked at this I really didn't know where to begin. It was like having severe writer's block. So I called Holly and told her what I was doing and said I needed help. She's seriously one of the most creative people I know and she got me all pumped up with different ideas and resources. Now that my creativity block was over I grabbed Chris, told him to get a saw and headed to the garage.

We chopped off the left hand side and about 6 inches off the bottom of the right side to lower it to Kate's size. Next we cut the left side in half and turned it on its side to be the fridge. Somewhere I have in between pictures of it but it really just looks like a pile of wood (which it was) and I'm sure you've seen a pile of wood before so I'll spare you. :) The scariest part of this whole project was doing all the cutting (and not just because I'm afraid of cutting my toes off). I was so worried I'd get it all cut up and then wish I hadn't. My advice if you're planning on doing this: just take a deep breath and do it.

The next week or so was full of more cutting, sanding, nailing, drilling, painting, sewing, more painting, shopping for knobs, hardware and accessories. Of course, Kate decided she didn't need to nap in these two weeks so I had to do it when either Aunt Stacey could babysit or after the kids went to bed. I messed up a few times and about gave up a few more times but I stuck with it and I'm so glad I did. It turned out GREAT!! I absolutely love it. It's not 100% finished. The fridge doors aren't cut straight so I need to fix them a bit but the kids don't seem to mind.

Here's the finished product:



Happy cooking to you!!

7 comments:

BrieAnn said...

That's ADORABLE!!!

Kevin and Eliza said...

Wow!!! Super cute, what a nice job you did and it is super creative. I love it.

Regs said...

That is awesome! I'm SO impressed. Someday I'll steal ideas from you... Someday a long ways away. :-)

Holly said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not just a kiddin' when I say that that absolutely ROCKS! You guys are rockstars! Way to take a simple idea and turn it into a Pottery Barn kid kitchen on steroids!! With this type of early intervention kitchen tool goodness, Kate will no doubt end up side-by-side with Rachel Ray. Way to go!

Justin and Stephanie said...

AWESOME!!! Way to be resourceful and cute! You inspire me! This will be a treasure for years to come! Good work.

Dinga said...

Very cute! We found a vanity set at a yard sale for Lydia. My mom gave her a princess tea set and she pretends that the vanity is her "kitchen" cause it has a sink and a sprayer... It is cute to watch little kids act like grown ups.

Maren said...

WOW!!!! That is so cool!!! I can't believe how cute it is! I don't think I'd be able to make anything like that. Amazing!