So, the other day I put Kate down for a nap because she was sooooo tired and crabby. Well, she laid there quietly for about 15 minutes and then started screaming. Yup, screaming...not crying. It was so weird! So, I went in to check on her and she had thrown her blanket (the one she can't sleep without) over the side of her crib and was screaming because she wanted it back. So, I handed her the blanket, laid her back down, turned on a musical teddy bear and left. Same thing happened. About 15 minutes later she started screaming again. This time she had thrown both the blanket and the bear over the side of her crib. So, my daughter is officially turning into a toddler. She is throwing things out of her crib. Fabulous. (actually, she hasn't done it since then, so let's hope it was just a fluke).
Also, the last time we were in the doctor's office the nurse handed me a sheet that had some milestones Kate should have reached by 9 months and some she would probably reach by the time she's a year old. One of the things on the list was "refusing diaper changes." At that time I thought "Well, she's advanced because she already does that." Yeah, what did I know??? She is soooo hard to control when we're changing her now. It's crazy! At least at 9 months we could hand her a toy and she'd stay entertained for the 20 seconds it takes to whip one diaper off and put another on but now, we hand her a toy and she throws it on the floor and then rolls over trying to go after the toy. Just imagine what changing a poopy diaper is like! Last night she got her leg in the poop like 3 times, smeared her brand new pj's in the mess all while smearing the happy mess all over the changing pad. Ugh! I keep telling myself it's totally normal behavior because she's learning her independence...right???? Is it too early to potty-train? :)
The first signs of toddlerhood aren't all that bad though. Some of them are pretty darn cute. Last week Kate started waving! Yeah!! We've only been practicing for about 4 months now. Every morning we watch Chris get in his car/motorcycle and drive away and we try to wave and one day she actually waved to him all on her own!!! I was so excited. She now waves at everything. When we're in the store she waves at all the other shoppers. When she sees a car drive by, she waves. When she knows someone is leaving, she waves. However, when we actually want her to wave so we can brag to someone about her new talent, she just smiles and acts like she doesn't know what we're talking about.
One last thing about the Kate-mister. Last night I heard Chris driving up in his Harley (it's loud enough to hear about a block or two away). :) Kate and I were in the kitchen and I said "Kate, Daddy's home!" So she crawled over to the door and sat there staring at it until he came in!! I know she can understand us but man, I was impressed!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Too cute- Christine yes the growing up has it's good and bad. Hey guess who I ran into the other night. You never will, Bob Perk, remember him. He married our 1 semester roommate Britta Bell. Well it turns out they live somewhat near me. He was playing against Kevin's softball team. Anyways small world. I guess they have 3 children. He looks the same as he did 8 years ago, pretty crazy. Thought you would be interested.
For about the past week and a half, its been super difficult to change Cora. I used to hand her the bottom half of her onesie to hold her fancy, but now, as soon as she hits the changing pad she rolls over towards the window to see what's going on. I'm hoping for a fluke about Kate throwing things over the side of her crib...I can't believe she's almost one!
PS: I bet your neighbors appreciate Chris's Harley as well. ;)
Isn't it awesome to watch kids grow up???? As much as the toddler stage drives us nuts, we'll miss it when it's gone!
Kate sounds so fun and so cute!!
I remember when Noah wouldn't stay still for his diaper changes. That stage probably lasted, ohhh, maybe 4-5 months, or maybe more? The worst of it only lasted maybe a couple months, though. My mother-in-law told me that she always sang primary songs when her kids were like that. I didn't always remember to do it (and sometimes, frankly, I wasn't in the mood-- just frustrated!), but I think it did help sometimes. It's worth at try!
Sure wish I could come over for a visit and see cute little Kate in action.
We're going through the exact same things with Abigail, man that girl can twist while we change her! Besides the last couple of nights when she was sick, she's actually sleeping a lot longer through the night though, which is awesome. Her favorite thing right now is saying "Wow" to everything. It was really cute until I was cleaning the kitchen the other day. She looked over from our living room and said "Wow" like I had never done it before. My wife couldn't stop laughing.
Post a Comment